Waterhouse Stops





Introduced in 1944. The lens is a Kodak Extar 4" 120mm f/2.6. It has shutter speeds T to 1/500 second. The film format is 5.5cm x 7cm on 70mm film.



Waterhouse stops came into use after 1859. A complete set of plates with openings corresponding to f stops accompanied the lenses of this period. They were inserted in slots provided behind the lens elements. Later, as shown on this Billcliff Stereo Camera, a single rotating disc with three to four stops was built into the lens barrel. An Englishman, J. Waterhouse, is associated with their use though it is doubtful that he was responsible for their origination.

 




CMP Home | Camera Index | Other Collections